INTRODUCING SHIV

July 22, 2012

I’ve been away longer than I like to be, but I have a really, really good reason.

Please allow me to introduce Shiv Carroll Mehra, born Tuesday, July 17th at 7:06 p.m., weighing in at 7 lb 6 oz (so symmetrical!), and measuring 19 inches in length.  Full head of curly, dark hair, home with us since Thursday, and the absolute love of our lives.

We are having so much fun learning our little man and figuring out this new, awesome version of our family.  We have been blessed by so much in the last few days: the generosity and courage of his birth mother, the love and support of so many friends and loved ones, and the fact that Shiv is healthy and is ours.

This day marks the sixth anniversary of my father’s death.  Though I wish with all of my heart that he were here to be a grandfather to Shiv, I am grateful for the symmetry of these milestone events.  As Jill so rightly quoted, “The old has passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Corinthians 5:17)

SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH CURRY LEAVES & MUSTARD SEEDS

This is my new go-to breakfast: flavorful, protein packed, great with a tortilla or other bread vehicle of choice.  You can spice these up by adding some minced jalapeno or Serrano (or hotter pepper), or switch green onion in for the yellow, etc. etc.  Potential substitutions abound, just make sure you get the pan nice and hot to start, or the mustard seeds won’t “pop” and will taste bitter.  For this reason, use canola or peanut oil, clarified butter (ghee), or other fat with a high smoke point to start off, then slip in some regular butter later for flavor if you like!

Many of you will recognize the flavors here as being similar to the potato “stuffing” that comes inside a masala dosa.  Now that I think of it, when I’m feeling a bit more ambitious, these would go great with some Indian-spiced home fries…

2 eggs

2 T whole milk

¼ cup diced yellow onion

4-6 curry leaves, sliced into a chiffonade

3-4 cherry tomatoes, quartered

½ tsp. mustard seeds

canola oil

butter

salt

In a non-stick skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high until it begins to shimmer.  Toss in the mustard seeds and immediately turn the heat down to medium-low.  The seeds will splutter and pop—this is a good sign!  Give them just a few seconds and then add the onion and curry leaves.  Shake the skillet to avoid browning.

Beat the eggs and milk together.  Add salt to taste.  Once the onion is translucent, turn the heat down to low and add the egg-milk mixture.  Using a spatula, begin to gently stir the eggs in a figure eight pattern, gently turning and folding until fully cooked.  Toward the end of the cooking time, add the tomatoes so they soften a bit.

Enjoy!

1. Congrats on your baby!

Comment by Matt — July 22, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

2. Congratulations on your beautiful son. All best wishes as you become a family of three!

Comment by Shannon from Roswell — July 22, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

3. Congratulations on your beautiful son. All best wishes as you become a family of three!

Comment by Shannon from Roswell — July 22, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

4. Congratulations on the arrival of a healthy and clearly happy Shiv! The new breakfast dish also sounds delightful. Can’t wait to try another of your wonderful recipes. One question: where is a good place to get curry leaves in H-town?

Comment by Ron — July 22, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

5. CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME to Baby Shiv! He is beautiful!

Comment by Kate — July 22, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

6. thank you, Matt, Shannon, & Ron! Ron, to answer your question, any Indian grocery store should carry the fresh leaves in their produce area. if you don’t have a neighborhood store, head down to the Hillcroft/59 area and you’ll find plenty of grocers there. so happy to hear you have been enjoying recipes from the blog!

Comment by Blue Jean Gourmet — July 22, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

7. Contratulations to both of you!! That is one lucky baby!!

Comment by lois — July 23, 2012 @ 9:30 am

8. Congratulations to all of you. Thank you for following your dreams.

Comment by Carla — July 23, 2012 @ 10:22 am

9. Congratulations!! He is beautiful and I am so happy for both of you. Enjoy the new adventure of parenthood!

Comment by Phoo-d — July 23, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

10. many thanks, all! we are lucky to have you community of folks cheering us on!

Comment by Blue Jean Gourmet — July 25, 2012 @ 8:12 am

11. Congratulations – what a cutie!

Comment by Gayle — July 27, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

12. OMG…I can’t believe I missed the post about your new son! He’s beautiful and he’s been born into such an awesome family….Wow, I couldn’t hardly absorb the beautiful birthday cake because I wanted to see more about the baby….

BTW….I got the most awesome thank you from one of the soldiers that I did a gift box for through your Valentines for Soldiers (we were the St. Louis group) and thank you again for helping us with that project….

Love is all around us!

Comment by Laurel Lewis — July 29, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

13. Congratulations! He is absolutely beautiful!

Comment by Tanvi — August 14, 2012 @ 12:41 am