TOMATO-CORN PIE

August 10, 2010

I’m from the South.  I’m a Southern girl.

I love this song like I love a biscuit crust.  It’s the soundtrack for today’s post.

Check my Southern-fried style
And my Southern flow

(Southern girl)

I share my life with another Southern girl—and if you missed her beautiful okra post from last week, I dare you not to fall in love with her fried & pickled versions.  Jill and I both have a sense of what it means to be a badass Southern woman, banging around in kitchen, with a cast-iron skillet and a will to match.  We model our vision on our mothers, her father’s sisters, women I knew in my Memphis childhood.

They are brash and busy and hilarious.  They do not coddle, or mince words.  Their praise does not come easily, making it even more valuable. They look as good in hunting cammo as they do in cocktail dresses.  They can be as frightening as they can be gracious.  Their respect, once lost, is difficult to earn back.  They are loyal and they don’t take any shit.  They cook everything well.

Southern Girl, and I’ll rock your world
Fly as a bumble bee
Can’t nobody f*** with me

Man, I sure hope I’m worthy of a lyric like that someday.

TOMATO – CORN PIE
adapted from Gourmet

This recipe made the internet rounds last summer, but you might have missed it.  AND THAT WOULD BE A SHAME.  Because this pie is crazy-delicious.  A wee bit time consuming but not all that difficult to put together.  And totally worth it.

While you’re going through the trouble, I highly recommend making two pies, so you can eat one and gift the other to some lucky soul.  Know any new parents?  Grieving friends?  Vegetarians?  Coworkers who can’t cook to save their life?  They’ll love you forever if you give them one of these.

for the filling:

1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated

½ cup mayonnaise, with the juice of 1 lemon stirred in

4 large summer tomatoes, diced & squeezed gently to release seeds and juices

2 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob

handful of basil, chopped

palm-full of chives, chopped

salt & pepper

Combine the tomatoes, corn, herbs, salt, & pepper in a bowl.  Toss gently and set aside.

for the crust:

2 cups flour

¾ cup buttermilk (regular milk will work, too)

6 T unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

1 T baking powder

¾ tsp. salt

Whisk together the dry ingredients, then cut in the butter with your fingers, pressing and crumbling until the mixture looks like a cross between gravel & sand.  Pour in the milk or buttermilk and knead the dough lightly with your hands until it just comes together into a ball.

pan: 9 or 10-inch pie plate

oven: 400˚

Divide the biscuit dough in half.  On a floured surface, gently roll or press out one of the halves until it will cover the bottom & sides of your pie plate.  Drape it in the pie pan, snugging it in and adjusting where need be.  If there’s overhang, leave it there for now.

Time to fill your pie!—and be warned, this baby’s gonna be FULL when all is said & done, but fret not—all will end well.

Cover the crust with half of the tomato/corn mixture.  Sprinkle half the cheese on top.  Layer the rest of the tomato/corn mixture atop the cheese, then pour the lemon mayonnaise on top of everything.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Now, roll out the other half of the biscuit dough until it’s big enough to cover the behemoth of a pie you just constructed.  Gently drape it over everything, pinching it together with the bottom layer around the rim of the pie plate.  Don’t worry if you have to patch & cobble the top crust—I’ve done this before and the pie still tastes delicious.

Use a sharp knife to cut four vents in the top of the pie, as if you were drawing a cross or a compass-N, S, E, W.  Melt a little butter on the stove or in the microwave, then brush it all over that biscuit crust.  Awww yeah.

Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is nice and golden.  Cool for at least 10-15 minutes on a rack before serving.  Serve hot or warm.

You can also cool the pie completely, refrigerate it, and then reheat it the next day, in a 350˚ oven for 20-25 minutes.

1. This looks FANTASTIC.

P.S. You are MORE than worthy of those lyrics, Nishta. xo

Comment by apronless — August 10, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

2. Your forgot the part where you jump in and wallow in all of it. It’s so, so good.

Comment by Jill Carroll — August 10, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nishta Mehra, Paul Sedillo. Paul Sedillo said: Whoa! RT @BlueJeanGourmet {new post} I dropped the f-bomb on my blog for the first time! also, I made tomato-corn pie: http://bit.ly/bdLxku [...]

Pingback by Tweets that mention TOMATO-CORN PIE « Blue Jean Gourmet -- Topsy.com — August 10, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

4. SO INSPIRING! I’m going to make it tonight, AND I shared it with my Southern Girl sister in MS. XOXO

Comment by Jan Johnson — August 10, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

5. Perfect timing! I was thinking about a tomato pie before I even got out of bed this morning. (Yes I realize that makes me a total food geek!) I love the mix of corn and cheddar in the pie.

Comment by Phoo-d — August 11, 2010 @ 7:17 am

6. that sounds SO GOOD! i have made jill’s fried okra twice this week to rave reviews, and i think this recipe shall be my next trick ;) y’all are the best!

Comment by Lauren — August 11, 2010 @ 10:40 am

7. Oh, you’re worthy, all right. I love you forever, even without the pie, but can you please make it for me, anyway?

Comment by Jess — August 11, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

8. apronless–you are the best. xo back at you!

Jill–oh YES, how could I have forgotten?

Jan–woohoo! let us know how it turned out. xoxo to you & your Southern sistah.

Phoo-d–food geeks unite + I have a feeling you would love this pie. ALSO, your new blog look is wow!

Lauren–we are SO EXCITED to hear that Jill’s okra has been a hit in your kitchen! pretty sure you & c-fan would love this one, too.

Jess–but of course. you know I would.

Comment by Blue Jean Gourmet — August 11, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

9. I can’t wait to try this.
    I am a new vegetarian and I’ve been missing comfort food. This is exactly what I need!

Comment by DeAnna — August 13, 2010 @ 11:46 am

10. I’ve never met you in person, but something tells me you are pretty close to living up to that song!

Comment by Cheryl Arkison — August 13, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

11. i’m always looking for new ways to use up corn in the summer, and your tomato corn pie looks perfect! thank u!

Comment by G. — August 16, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

12. Love love LOVE this dish … so fresh, yet comforting as mentioned in the above posts. I’m a new reader, but I look forward to browsing through archives and new posts!

Comment by HHaws — August 17, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

13. DeAnna–this is definitely a vegetarian meal that still feels homey and satisfying.

Cheryl–thanks, lady. I do what I can!

G–my in-laws grow a ton of corn every summer, so I’m always looking for the same.

HHaws–welcome and thank you so much! glad to have you reading.

Comment by Blue Jean Gourmet — August 18, 2010 @ 7:47 am

14. [...] bread pudding (incredibly decadent) tomato-corn pie (in a biscuit crust!) orzo pasta salad (perfect potluck [...]

Pingback by SHRIMP, POTATO, & TOMATO SALAD « Blue Jean Gourmet — July 12, 2011 @ 11:39 pm