COLESLAW

June 22, 2009

You know those recipes you would beg, borrow, or steal for? Yeah, this is definitely one of them.

coleslaw

Take this coleslaw to a potluck, grill-out, or summer picnic, and I guarantee you’ll have people clambering not only to lick the bowl clean, but also to ask you for the recipe.

I actually didn’t have to beg terribly hard to get this recipe myself—lucky for me, my friend Kathy is a generous recipe-sharer. She’s also responsible for broadening my culinary horizons and know-how when I was just wee college student some half-a-dozen years ago!

This crunchy, spicy slaw goes well with just about any grilled meat or burger. Feel free to adjust the proportions in the dressing to suit your tastes. Coleslaw definitely qualifies as a summer classic, and I’ll eat it in pretty much any incarnation. How do you like yours?

COWBOY KICKOFF COLESLAW
adapted from the Mansion on Turtle Creek, Dallas (via K. Glenney)

This recipe makes a LOT of slaw, so feel free to halve it.

vegetables: yellow bell pepper

4 cups shredded cabbage
(I used both green & half red)

2 cups shredded carrots

2 bell peppers, julienned
(I used one orange & one yellow)

2 chopped jalapeños
(just 1 if you’re heat-shy)

½ bunch cilantro,
picked off the stem & rough-chopped

slaw vegetables dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise

2 T maple syrup

2 T vinegar

2 T Dijon mustard

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. cumin powder

1 tsp. coriander powder (if you don’t have it/can’t find it, not a dealbreaker)

1 clove garlic, minced

juice of ½ a lime

salt, to taste

Combine all the raw vegetables in a bowl. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together in a separate bowl, then pour over the vegetables. Toss to coat & refrigerate until time to serve. Best if made ahead! Those are four of the sweetest words in the English language: best if made ahead.  Sigh.

1. This sounds like a great coleslaw! I love the bright colors.

Comment by lisaiscooking — June 23, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

2. What’s with all the cowboy stuff I’m seeing lately. You would think you all lived here in Calgary.

Comment by Cheryl Arkison — June 25, 2009 @ 12:33 am

3. hey Cheryl, you know we’ve got a couple of cowboys down here in Texas, too!

Comment by bluejeangourmet — June 25, 2009 @ 5:30 pm

4. I am embarking on something akin to slow-cooked BBQ (pork shoulder) and some slaw this weekend. Had some great almost kimchee-esque colesaw at the Big Apple BBQ Block Party a few weeks back from The Salt Lick’s pit. Mmmmm. I’m going to try to replicate it. Stay tuned. 🙂

Comment by Johanna from PrettyGirls — June 25, 2009 @ 10:07 pm

5. this sounds awesome, can’t wait to try it. . .and you are sooooooo right about the beauty of “make ahead” – to me that means a nice, clean kitchen and more time to relax with a drink

Comment by Amy — June 26, 2009 @ 10:56 am

6. i have to say, i have never been a fan of cole slaw, but you may have made me a convert!

Comment by Lauren — June 26, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

7. Much better than the standard coleslaw for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Comment by awalkabout — June 30, 2009 @ 5:31 pm

8. […] eat with them is fried—for example, tonight’s meal consisted of onion rings, fried shrimp, this coleslaw, squash casserole (with cheese!), and double-chocolate brownies.  With whipped […]

Pingback by SUMMER CLASSICS SERIES: SNAP PEA SALAD « Blue Jean Gourmet — August 4, 2009 @ 11:15 pm

9. […] you can scroll through last year’s Summer Classics Series, with recipes for standards like coleslaw & potato salad, plus popular desserts like key lime pie & gingersnap-mascarpone tart.  It […]

Pingback by SUMMER REFRESHMENT, REVISITED « Blue Jean Gourmet — August 3, 2010 @ 6:23 pm